Monday, March 21, 2016

Quilting my Spiral Shells and Tea Party Table Topper

It is time for some quilting. I have been hanging off in hope I would get my Pfaff back but it hasn't happened. So it is time for some quilting on my little Janome which I like to piece on.
I pinned the 2 projects so I was ready and once I started I could just quilt.
The Tea Party Table topper was priority as it has a deadline. It is my workshop sample for the A Quilters Odyssey retreat in June. So I need to get it done and photos across to Sue and Kate for next month newsletter. The original plan was to use one of the Westalee rulers to create a lovely quilted design but without my Pfaff I can't do it as the foot doesn't fit the Janome. So I just did some straight line quilting instead and I was very happy with the results. It has giving me a couple of ideas for quilting the dresden plate quilt I am working on which is nearly to sashing the blocks together. I may quilt to myself. The binding was added and it was done.
A better view of my quilting.

It will be available in kit form in two colour ways on my webshop soon if you are interested.
After lunch I got stuck into the Spiral Shell reversible quilt which started my Straight Curve Experiment. I decide some free motion stippling for this one. It have been a while since I have done some. Off I went, stopped briefly to checked the stitching tension and continued once I was happy. I got two third through the quilt and I stopped for a break and I noticed a couple dodgy stitches and once I looked on the back I could of cried. My tension was gone. All the stitches were loose expected for the corner where I started from. Not happy I started unpicking it all under some cat supervision. That is Ponchee. She loves to road test my creations.

It wasn't hard to do as the bobbin thread was loose. It was that fact there was a lot to do. In the end I unpicked all the quilting and started from scratch and totally changed my mind on how I was going to quilt it. Some free motion straight line quilting that weren't totally straight or evenly spaced. I did enjoy this type of quilting as I wasn't worrying that I wobble a little and I did have to mark the quilt to keep the spacing even. I can see me doing free form straight lines again.


Now for the binding to finish it off. They look pretty straight and even to me.
Until Next Time
Keep Stitching
Cynthia

No comments: