This one was on my To Do List back in January and I am happy to
say it is completed. Some of you out there would have seen some pictures of
this quilt in various stages of production. I made this quilt using the
Inklingo 1 1/2 inch hexagons and yes I did hand piece the hexagons
strips but with Linda's excellent tutorials you can easily machine piece your
hexagons together. You can find more about printing on to fabric at the Inklingo blog if you haven't come
across Inklingo before and you will be seeing a lot more here on my blog as I
complete my star project and get ready for my next Inklingo project.
I started with some fabrics from the
Sweetness range and added a couple extra fabrics.
I washed my fabrics and pressed. Then
following the Inklingo instructions I cut the fabric to the right size to fit
through my printer and cut matching freezer paper then pressed the freezer
paper to the right side of the fabric so I can print on the wrong side.
You can just see my printed lines on the back of my fabric.
I started by making a variety of
hexagon flowers then I filled the sides with half hexagons.
This is how I press my blocks.
I laid out my flowers into 3 strips by 7
flowers when I was happy with the layout I joined each flower with a row of
neutral hexagons until the strip reached the desired length.
This pattern is
easily increased in size by making the rows longer and adding more rows.
Next I measured the length of my hexagon strip and that gives you the
measurement for your border strips. Cut the border strip then lay them out
alternately with your hexagon strips.
Then sew your rows together to complete
your top. I did some free motion quilting over the hexagon flowers and did some
straight stitching following a line or two in the border strip.
To complete this quilt I picked the
boldest fabric for my binding to finish it off and here it is.