Saturday, March 14, 2015

My Journey into the World of Softies

Have you seen Sew Mama Sew blog recently? They are currently running Six Weeks of Love for Softies series with lots of interest softies with their designers. I have followed Sew Mama Sew blog for a while not sure how long but it was one of the early blogs I started following. Now if they have done this last year or even in January this year I may have given it a brief look but I'm not that interested in making softies. It is March 2015 and I view softies in a totally different light after making my first one Oliver Hoot at a Melly and Me workshop. See my cute little friend.

It was like I had a light bulb moment when the light turned on and I can make these softies and  I can bring the animals back to my business Cynthia's Ark. My machine sewing has been limited to piecing quilts, quilting and the occasionally mending job. I have never been a big machine sewer and never really giving sewing anything else much of a chance. I can tell you things have changed. So far there has been 2 free patterns included in the blog posts. I want to try them both so I am giving Pauline's  Funky Friends Factory elephant softie a go first as she states it is suitable for a beginner.
The fabrics I have picked out are from Riley Blake Designs Unforgettable  range Grey petal and Blue Hexies for this project and you can find the range in my webshop if you want some for your stash..
Next the tracing and cutting all rather simple to trace and cut the pieces needed. Then I was ready for sewing. All straight forward and ready to turn through before I knew it. Even at this stage I think it is looking like an elephant don't you think?


Stuffing was a little more challenging, trying to stuff the trunk with little bits of wadding. I think he could of done with a little more stuffing but I think it is too bad. All that was left to do was to hand stitch his ears in to place and stitch his eyes.
Here he is all done

Now it is time to try Jodie's mouse Fig from Ric rac. Another free pattern on the Sew mama Sew blog.
Until Next Time
Keep Stitching
Cynthia

No comments: