Monday, March 16, 2015

My Disappearing Hourglass Quilt.


Now that I have the top completed I am up to the quilting stage. This is where I sometimes struggle with ideas for quilting. While I pin basted the three layers together I was thinking maybe just some diagonally lines through the whole quilt along the star points using Aurifil #2315 40 wt to blend with the cream marble. Of course now I am wondering if that is too simple or predictable for the quilting. Should I push the boundaries a bit and think a bit harder.

 Also I have used a new batting/wadding product for me. It is Vilene Quiltlite which is a super lightweight batting. I wanted to make a summer quilt for our hot Aussie summers. Some times at night during summer with the fan running I get a little cool and just want something light over me. My LSH(long suffering husband) needs the fan more than me. I would like to use my quilts all year round so I ordered a roll and thought I would try it out. It will be available in our shop shortly if you are interested.
 At first glance I thought it was too thin and really is there any point to using it so I teamed it up with some flannel for the backing. The first things I notice about Quiltlite is how nicely it drapes and softness of the product. It should help soften the batik fabrics I have used in the quilt top.  In the end I did some slightly wavy lines for the quilting and just had some fun, nothing too hard as the quilt has been a breeze to piece. For the binding I picked out a multi coloured batik that was in the quilt. Easy. So it is all done.


This is a Missouri Star Quilt Co tutorial so pop over to their site for more details on making this block. It was a breeze to make. Time for the next one I want to try.

Until Next Time
Keep Stitching
Cynthia

No comments: