Monday, June 29, 2015

A Quilters Odyssey Retreat

The Sunset on Sunday night at Nunyara Belair, you wouldn't think turning 90 degrees to the right and you would see the City of Adelaide below you. I should of taken that my picture.

A Quilters Odyssey annual retreat was on over this last weekend. Beautiful clear weather, no rain in the forecast. All 23 of us packed our bags and head for Nunyara Conference Centre at Belair for a weekend of sewing, chatting, games, shopping and good food. Kate and Sue are behind this gathering and they have done a great job once again.
I always take too many project to work on. I didn't want to run out of sewing now, do I? This year's goal was to finish my Double Wedding Ring bed runner as it came with me on retreat last year and wasn't touch. So that was Saturday project, the top was completed and it is ready for quilting.

Also I tackled the remaining 8 large Ohio Star blocks that have been cut for months. Done now just have to sew the small ones which I cut just in case I got to them but that didn't happen.

Another lingering project was my Batik Half Square Triangle quilt, it just needed the 3 borders added to them.

This was Sunday job after we had the wonderful Michele Hill visit us and speak to us about her quilting journey. Very inspiring she was and her work is stunning to see close up. I may even have a go at one of her patterns in the future. It may be time to try machine applique for real. I brought her new book on the day so I will share which project I pick and how I go when it happens.

Sunday night gave me a chance to sew a Melly & Me project for the next fair. I need a few more samples and I do like to try the patterns I sell because it helps me advise my customers. So I made Dee Dee the dolphin and she was a breeze to make and you can get the pattern at www.cynthiasark.com.au with lots of other Melly & Me patterns including some I have made kits up for.

On Monday I had Piper & Pete the penguins to make up as I cut them out before the retreat, but I got about 3/4 quarters through making them and I needed to stuff them before I could finish them off and I didn't have enough stuffing with me. 
Lastly I finally finished April's Bitty Blocks. The lag of sewing over May and June is noticeable to me with me falling behind in some projects. I have May's blocks cut ready to go so we will see if we can catch up a little bit before the end of July or not.

No matter what, lots was achieved over the weekend by everyone with lots of fun thrown in. A great weekend was had and it was sad when we had to return home and most of us back to work. If only we had another day together but there is always next year.
Until Next Time
Keep Stitching
Cynthia

No comments: