Thursday, August 11, 2016

What size to make a Wall Hanging?


As a good friend pointed out the other day, Christmas is just around the corner. So does that mean we should be preparing our Christmas projects! For a change I have a Christmas project in mind something that has been bouncing around in my head for a couple of years. Yes it must be something worth doing if it is still there. Now I haven't designed a Christmas project before so this will be interesting.

So I am designing away, finally having nailed the design that has been bouncing around in my head, so I move on to block sizes. I am calculating the sizes when  I have an Oh No moment when I added everything together and my wall hanging is more like a quilt in size rather than a wall hanging. My thought was to use bigger blocks so it could be a quick project. Now that gets me thinking what is a good size for a wall hanging? The size I had in mind seems too large for a wall hanging now.  Is 20" a good size? Is 40" too big?
 I ask the question on my Facebook page and got some help, including 40" is good, depending on the wall space on you have to fill and even  smaller at 15" was suggested. So it seems to be a personal choice and no clear way to go.
What size do you consider a good size for a wall hanging? I would love to know your opinion on this topic.


Here are some of the fabrics I have selected from my batik stash for the Christmas project. Yes I am back to working with batik fabrics.  Not all these fabrics will end up in the project but I wanted a good variety of fabrics to choice from. Just wondering if there is any other colours I need to add to it. What do you think? Have I missed something? I feel I am missing something.
Until Next Time
Keep Stitching
Cynthia

No comments: