Friday, May 23, 2014

Leaders & Enders Challenge Update


You may have seen some of these lozenge blocks in some of my Sewing time posts. This is a Leaders & Enders challenge set by Bonnie Hunter on Quiltville. As a terrible scrap quilter I am doing this challenge to free myself from my need to keep fabrics under colour control and break free of my restricting my quilts to 4-5 fabrics only but I do love them so it is going to be hard. As I went through my scrap boxes I was able to choose plenty of fabrics for the main body of the block (3 1/2 x 6) there is lots of variety in patterns, colours and styles in medium tones but looking for lights and darks for the corners seem harder. There were few more light neutrals than darks and I am trying to keep to the blacks, dark navy blues and dark greys. Am I being too controlling again?
What should I do, this is a scrap challenge?  I really want to make a dent in my scraps and I know my scrap stash isn't as large as some quilter's I have seen but should I buy fabric for a scrap project. I obviously follow a don’t waste policy to keep my scraps to 2 boxes so I attacked my fabric stash and started cutting strips of fabric from the stash to add to the scraps. So that got me out of trouble for a while and my blocks started to pile up but in the back in my mind there was this little voice saying is this scrappy enough, you need more variety in your lights and darks. So when I was at the Salisbury Stitchers Exhibition I made the decision to buy a few fat quarters to top them up and add the variety I was seeking. Here they are and I have cut some up and they are being used to create May's batch of blocks.

Until Next Time
Keep Stitching
Cynthia

No comments: