Saturday, May 17, 2014

Building Blocks Quilt - FMQ Along #12

Here we are in May already and time seems to be flying by so fast. In our Free Motion Quilt Along we have a new block to piece and quilt - the Cheaters Drunkards Path and we get to quilt the first one  with Lines and Grids. I haven't tried raw edge piecing before and after hearing mixed opinions on this topic I decided to just follow Leah's instructions and it worked out better than I thought it would. 


Now we are at the quilting part so I marked the block and watched the tutorial. I decided to try sewing the curves in one go instead of stopping and starting, so I don't get the pointy bits. I also decided not to turn the block around as much as I have been doing, as Leah suggested if you are working on a large quilt we will not be able to turn our quilts easily. There is some wobbles in the curves, travel stitching and in the triangle sections and I think I lost one of my triangle points in the small curved section but I did it with only a few pauses. It could have been a lot worse. At least you can see the design I was aiming for, I didn't break my thread and my stitches are looking a lot more even. I think I have found the sweet spot on the throttle. Not too fast or too slow.

Until next time
Keep Stitching 

Cynthia

No comments: