Friday, January 10, 2020

2020 Temperature Quilt

I have to admit I am still working on 2019 Temperature quilt. I will get there, but I am hooked and recording temperatures have become part of my morning routine and  I am recording the temperatures out of habit, so I will need a new design for this year. I plan to use the same scale as I did last year, but with a new lay out and different technique. The quilts will look totally different but will have the same colour palette with the addition.
Here is my legend
9- 15 degrees Purple
16-20 degrees  Blue
21-25 degrees Green
26-30 degrees Yellow
31-35 degrees Orange
36-40 degrees Pink
40- 45 degrees Red
46+ degrees Black

This year I want something I can do by hand, I find it hard to find machine time and when I do there are more important projects under my needle. My hand sewing work load is a lot smaller. You may realise where I am heading with this, that means English paper piecing is back on the table. I didn't do a lot in 2019, beside a few pin cushions and Abbie blocks which I will be continuing on this year.

Finding a shape that will work for me has been an interesting excersize. I was thinking I would work in weeks as monthly with 29, 30 and 31 days isn't going to work but 7 or 14 wasn't working either. I can do 4,5, 6, 8 10, 12 or 16 in a block. So let me show you the break down and may be one of you might have a suggestion that may help me solve my problem.

Let's start with 4, 5, 6, 8 & 10  these are all diamonds that form stars when pieced together which in turn will give me 91.5 blocks with the 4 pointed star,  73.2 with the 5 pointed star,  61 with the 6 pointed star,  45.75 with the 8 pointed star and 36.6 with the 10 pointed star. Now the blocks would be small probably around 4-5" in size but only the 6 pointed star divide out nicely.

Then we have the dresden shapes which gives me 6, 12 & 16 depending on size, and once again you have 6 = 61 blocks, 12 = 30.5 blocks and 16 = 22.9 blocks. The size of these block widely vary between 6" to 16" blocks. So 23 x 16" blocks will create a large quilt around the 80" square.

I am going to have to made a decision very soon so I can start, what shape would you use? Is there a shape I have missed that you think would work better. Let me know, I would love to heard your thoughts.

Until Next Time
Keep Stitching
Cynthia


2 comments:

Marjorie said...

I was only thinking the other day after your unfinished blog when I spotted your 2019 temp one that perhaps I could do one. I was going to ask you about it next time I was with you.No doubt I suppose I should have been keeping a record of the last 11 days temp !!!!
In saying that I like the idea of the 6 sided star or the large Dresden.
Good luck.

Monica Eggleton said...

How about a six point star with an applause center. I was thinking a circle for the center, which would be day seven of each week. I beilieve that the “blocks” would be small enough to make a nice size quilt. Hexagon flower would be 7 pieces as well. Have fun with it.