Monday, January 28, 2019

My Temperature Quilt Part 4

Week 4 of my temperature quilt looks like this. I did consider using another colour for over 45 but I had already made my legend block. So I left it.

20-1-19- 34- Orange
21-1-19 -37.4 - Pink
22-1-19 - 40.1- Red
23-1-19 -43.4- Red
24-1-19 -48.8- Red
25-1-19 - 33.4 -Orange
26-1-19 - 31.5 - Orange

Now if you saw my quilt layout in my last post. Click here to check it out. I have three empty blocks, one at the start and 2 at the end. one of these spots would be a great place to put your legend. Down the track a few years, you can still see how the breakdown of temperatures work. The other idea I had was make it part of your label on the back of your quilt.
In my first empty block at the top I thought I would put the year here.You can applique it, machine or hand embroider it in. My option will be to hand embroider it as I am unable to machine it.  More on that in the next post.

The last block at the bottom will be home to my legend.
For my legend block I have 7 colours that represent my temperatures so this makes it easy. I can select one of each colour from my piles and sew them together. For a change I somehow made things easy for myself. If you are using a different amount you need to take your block length without the seam allowance and divide it by the number of colour to give you the size. eg my finished block size- 14" block length divide it by 7 = 2. This mean your blocks need to be cut  4 1/2" x2 1/2" including your seam allowance.


Here is my legend
9- 15 degrees Purple
16-20 degrees  Blue
21-25 degrees Green
26-30 degrees Yellow
31-35 degrees Orange
36-40 degrees Pink
40+ degrees Red

 Next time we will look at the sashing strips to join your blocks together as I think we will need to be sewing our blocks together regularly, so we don't have to mark them.  Though this is an option if you need it. We don't want to mess our weeks up now.
Until Next Time
Keep Stitching
Cynthia

No comments: