Monday, October 28, 2013

What do you prefer a fat quarter or a strip off the bolt?

Do you still buy fat quarters?  I was doing a fabric stash tidy up only because I was looking for a certain piece of fabric and noticed over the last couple of years I have tended to buy a strip off the bolt rather than buy fat quarters. So this got me thinking what is everyone else doing.

Fat quarters are just easy you just pick the ones you like and buy them. You don't have to put too much thought in to it.
When you buy off the bolt this brings up a number of questions you have to process.
Do I have a project in mind? Is it just for my stash? How much should I buy? How much is that going to cost? and the list goes on.
Thinking of the projects I have been piecing over the last year, strip piecing has played a big roll in my need to purchase off the bolt. I didn't realise I was doing it most of the time. I would go into a quilt shop and just purchase 30cm off the bolt unless I needed more for a project. (Yes I still shop at other quilt shops because I can't stock every fabric range out there in my shop.) Looking at what I have used. If there was any left over fabric it has found it way into my Farmer Wife Sampler project.
30cm piece off the bolt.

Fat Quarter

What do you prefer I would love to know?
Leave us a comment and the most interesting comment will receive a fabric bundle in their preference. This will help me decide if I should stock more fat quarter options or stick to the 30cm strip bundles.
Until next time keep stitching
Cynthia
 

No comments: