Sunday, October 6, 2013

Fabric Scraps! What to do with them?

Fabric Scraps! Do you keep all  your scraps of fabric or Do you give them away or Do you throw them out?  Everyone is different. I have been collecting my scraps for a while. You should see all my batik scraps. When I come to the end of a project I go through the left overs and anything smaller then 2 1/2 x 1 inch goes into the bin and the rest get sorted eventually. They then get sorted into different categories depending on the fabric. eg batik, reproduction, kids, modern, etc. Back in July I went on a quilting retreat with a great group of ladies courtesy of A Quilter's Odyssey. Over the weekend Sue share with us her scrap secrets, showing us what we could do with scraps and they should never put in the rubbish if you can do something else with it. Plus she showed us a number of completed projects she had done with scraps. 



Batik Scraps I have start to sort out.


My Scrap Box
















This got me thinking about my growing pile of scraps. There was a box full that I hadn't sorted and what the hell am I going to do with them anyway.
My batik scraps I cut into 1 inch strips and colour sort them, but a new pile is forming. I have been making log cabin blocks with the strips(hand piecing) I start October  2010 while on holiday. It is an easy travel project.  Now I can see a layout developing from the pile of block I have completed. (I can thank Kate from A Quilters' Odyssey for my hand piecing addiction)



4 Pink log cabin blocks sewn together.









4 Farmers Wife Sampler blocks featuring scraps.







My reproduction scraps have found their way in to my Farmer's Wife Sampler quilt(still in progress, as I am hand piecing these blocks too.)
The rest I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. Maybe I will have to try some scrappy quilts, though I'm not very good with the scrappy look. The last one I made didn't turn out too scrappy looking, though I used up some ofmy larger batik scraps.

Who knows I may dream something up.

I'm open to suggestions.

In the mean time Keep Stitching
Cynthia

No comments: